The Republic of Kenya is a state in East Africa. The country is a unitary presidential constitutional republic, with the president as head of state. Local currency is the Kenyan shilling (KES). Official language is Kiswahili, however English is also very widespread. Kenya is a member of the United Nations (UN), the Commonwealth of Nations, the African Union (AU) and other international organisations.
Although Kenya exhibits continuous economic growth, the country's GDP remains low at this time. The service sector accounts for 62% of the GDP, however roughly 75% of the population work in agriculture. Currently there are more than 310.000 companies registered in Kenya, this is more than twice the number of companies registered back in 2010.
Corporate practice is regulated in the Companies Act of 2015 and other legal statutes.
Main types of businesses in Kenya:
- Company limited by shares
- Company limited by guarantee
- Unlimited company
- Branch of a foreign company
- Limited liability partnership
Additionaly, individual enterprises may operate in Kenya.
The "Companies Registry of the Registrar of Companies" is responsible for registration in the commercial register. The "Companies Registry" is directly subordinate to the "Office of the Attorney General and Department of Justice". All relevant documents for the registration are submitted to one of the Huduma Centres, special citizen service centres that provide National Government Services.
The "Office of the Attorney General" was founded in 2013 and renamed to "State Law Office" in 2016, however the previous name is still being used.
Contents of the register:
- Full legal name
- Director and proprietors
- Current status (active/inactive)
- Type of business
- Full address
- Additional data
The following documents can be obtained from the register:
- Certificate of Formation
- Annual Financial Statements
- Certificate of Good Standing – a document attesting that the company is capable of acting and solvent. It confirms the company pursues their commitments and is neither bankrupt nor in debt. Furthermore there is no reorganisation, merger or liquidation taking place.
- Memorandum of Association
NB: Information about some companies may be unavailable, or available for a fee.
Search in the register is not free of charge. Search results are sent to you within 5-7 days after request submission.
To get a required document, we will need the following information about a company:
- Full legal name
- Registration number
|Service||Price incl. German VAT 19%||Price excl. VAT|
|Price for an Electronic Extract from Kenya||from 119,00 €||from 100,00 €|
|Price for the translation of an Extract from Kenya||from 41,65 €||from 35,00 €|
|Price for an Extract with Apostille without international shipping||from 1190,00 €||from 1000,00 €|
Legalization of extracts from Kenya
Kenya did not accede to The Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents in 1966. Therefore, all kenyan documents are subject to legalization.
An extract from the commercial register of Kenya can be used in order to:
- Obtain detailed information about potential business partners
- Negotiate foreign trade agreements
- File legal claims
- Register legal entities with foreign participation
- Check potential employers
You can order an extract without mandatory registration or subscription. Just complete our form and our employees will investigate for missing information, provide you with the extract, translate it to English and deliver the original, the translation as well as the bill for our services to you via mail.
There is no risk involved for you as we provide you with the documents in question on a fixed price. If requested, we will have the extract verified and apostilled. The documents are sent to you by mail. Special fees for the apostille apply.
- Quick and reliable inquiry processing
- Convenient order via online form
- Required document is sent as a PDF-file via e-mail
- Certified translation
- No charge if required information is unavailable
- Apostille for extracts from commercial registers
- Confidentiality and personal data protection
- Quality service and happy customers
We verify whether a commercial register contains information about the company you are interested in, free of charge. Order a preliminary extract and you will receive the following information:
- Availability of an entry in a commercial register
- Cost of extract from a commercial register
- Other available documents
- Deadline for discharge
- Cost of apostille
- Commercial register extract sample (if available)
You can order free preliminary availability check of required information on our website.