Schmidt & Schmidt offers the legalization of documents from Liberia by apostille.
Liberia has joined the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents in the year 1996. Therefore no diplomatic authentication or legalization of documents from Liberia is required for the legal communication with another member state of the convention. The documents only need to be stamped with an "apostille" by the issuing state's authorities in order to be valid in the state of destination.
Following institutions are responsible for the apostille in Liberia:
- Minister of Foreign Affairs, his deputies and assistants
- Minister of Justice, his deputies and assistants
- Secretary and Deputy Secretaries of the Supreme Court
- Secretaries and deputy secretaries of district courts
- Registrar and deputy registrar of corporations
- Commissioner, Deputy Commissioners and Special Maritime Agents
In practice, assistant to the Minister of Foreign Affairs makes an apostille more often.
Documents issued by the authorities of Liberia and other Liberian authorized structures, or certified by Liberian notaries, published in English can be apostilled.
During legalization, Liberian officials verify the origin and authenticity of the document. After passing through this procedure, a special stamp (an apostille) is affixed to the document (or to its certified copy) or a special certificate is attached to it. As a rule, the apostille is placed on the back of the document, or on a separate sheet, after which the document is stitched.
An apostille is a stamp of rectangular shape. The heading "Apostille (Convention de La Haye du 5 octobre 1961)" must be in French.
The following documents can be authenticated by apostille:
- Certificates of civil status (certificates of birth, death, marriage and divorce)
- Education documents (school reports, certificates, diplomas)
- Trade register excerpts
- Judicial decisions
- Notarially certified copies of documents
- Notarially certified translations
- Further notarial documents (authorizations, last will, declarations)
- Commercial documents legalized by a state organ of registration (articles of incorporation, registration certificates, tax registrations etc.)
Requirements for the documents:
An apostille can be issued exclusively on an original document. Therefor, the latter must be in an apparent good condition, all stamps and signatures have to be clear and readable. Furthermore, it must not contain alien marking and labels.
In addition to the legalization of your documents, we can provide you with high quality translations.
If you want to bring company information before the court, it needs to be legalised as well. We are therefore offering extracts from the commercial register of Liberia including apostille and translation.
Usually, processing the documents takes us 14 days.