The Technical Regulation TR CU 008/2011 On the safety of toys, sets requirements for toys concerning the life and health of children and their carers, as well as the protection of the consumer against misleading information.
In accordance with these requirements, the toys must be designed and manufactured in such a way as to prevent risks for children and their parents or guardians when using them, including in particular:
- design-related risks
- risks resulting from manufacturing materials
- hazards of use
The compliance with the requirements of the TR CU 008/2011 On the safety of toys with regards to hygienic properties such as: scent, taste, chemical composition, possibility of the release of loose substances etc. is one of the conditions for successful access to the Russian and Eurasian market.
Adopted on September 23, 2011
Came into force on July 1, 2012
Until 15 February 2014 the circulation of toys certified according to national standards of the member of the customs union was allowed. After 15 February 2014, the technical regulation TR CU 008/2011 On the safety of toys overrode the national standards of the Technical Regulation such as GOST or Russian TR Certification definitively.
Application area of TR CU 008/2011 On safety of toys
The requirements of TR CU 008/2011 apply to all toys placed on the market of the customs union for the first time.
Before being placed on the market of the Eurasian Economic Union, the toys shall be subject to compulsory certification of compliance with the safety requirements of the technical regulation TR CU 008/2011 in the form of EAC Certification with the participation of a notified body.
The conformity assessment in the form of the EAC Declaration is not intended for toys.
For the toys listed in Attachment 1, namely:
- christmas decorations
- scale models for collectors not intended for children under the age of 14
- equipment for children's playgrounds
- sports equipment
- folklore and decorative dolls, which are not intended for children under the age of 14
- commercial toys for public use
- slot machines
- puzzles with more than 500 pieces
- centrifugal devices
- chargers and power supplies
- appliances with heating elements for use in the education sectir under adult supervision
- vehicles for children under 14 with combustion engines
- road bikes
- toys with nominal voltage above 24 v
- reconstructions of firearms
- jewelry for children
- swimming equipment
- personal protective equipment (bicycle helmets, sunglasses, etc.)
- shooting bows with total bowstring length over 1200mm
- sanitary products made of latex, rubber and silicone elastomers for children
The children's toys that have been confirmed to conform with the requirements of TR CU 008/2011 are marked with the EAC sign of the customs union. Placing a product on the market without corresponding marking is not allowed.
In addition a further warning label should be placed on toys not intended for children under the age of 3 years.